Friday, July 6, 2007

Biosolar energy?

I've been thinking alot about Biodiesel of late. I can't help it, I know that it is about to burst wide open with the IPO of Imperium.

On the other hand, the name of my blog is AmericanSolarEconomy, so by discussing Bio-Energy, I'm straying from the main topic.

The simplest solution, of course, is to simply include those topics in this blog, and on the main site at www.AmericanSolarEconomy.com.

To support this solution, I came up with a rationale, which I wasn't quite satisfied with until just a few minutes ago. The rationale states that Bio-Energies are, in fact, rooted in "Solar Energy." For instance, to produce Biodiesel, you need vegetable oil. The energy that is packed into that oil comes from plants which are absorbing the energy from the sun.

Think of it this way. Given some land surface area, you can make use of the Solar Energy radiated on that area either by absorbing that energy using photovoltaics to convert it to electricity*, or by using crops (algae?) to absorb and store that energy as oil. There is a definite parallel, and it could be said that PV is simply a semicondoctor-based approach to solar energy absorbtion, whereas Bio is crop-based.

So anyway, I'll be talking about Biofuels here, and expanding the main site to be inclusive. It's the right thing to do.

* Or by concentrating the energy in order to generate electricy via heat-based generator.



Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book


No comments: